Glenaray and Inveraray
History of the Church
The Church was designed by Robert Mylne, one of the great Scottish 18th
century architects. Built between 1795 and 1802 on the highest piece of
ground and traffic has always been meant to flow around it.
Built to house two congregations - the English or Lowland and the Gaelic
or Highland a solid wall separated the two. Externally the two ends are
identical. In each gable is a circular opening - a feature which Mylne used
in many of the buildings at Inveraray and elsewhere. In one is the Church
Clock and in the other the Church Bell.
The porticoes now railed in, originally gave access to the galleries.
Much of the stone for the building came from Arran but there is a
persistent story that some was quarried at Creag nan Caorach (the Craigs
is a headland south of the town). If true, it confirms a 16th century
prophecy that Inveraray would never be a town worth the name, till the
bells rang on Creag nan Caorach.
In 1957 the Gaelic End was converted into a Church Hall and its gallery
was enclosed to form the Paul Fraser Memorial Chapel; Rev Doctor Paul
Fraser author of the statistical Accounts of 1793, was Minister here when
the Church was built. The dividing wall was pierced by a door.
Originally a tall slender spire rose from the centre of the church. Said to
be unsafe, it was demolished in 1941. Lacking the spire, the Church is
now squat and unimpressive, though still the centre of the town.
© Copyright 2014-18 - All rights Reserved - WestLochfyneside Parish Churches
Web site donated by SKWebpages
Charity No. SC016665