Glenaray and Inveraray
History of the Church The   Church   was   designed   by   Robert   Mylne,   one   of      the   great   Scottish   18th century   architects.      Built      between   1795   and   1802   on   the   highest   piece   of     ground and traffic has always been meant to flow  around it. Built   to   house   two   congregations   -   the      English   or   Lowland   and   the   Gaelic or   Highland   a   solid   wall   separated   the   two.   Externally   the   two   ends   are     identical.   In   each   gable   is   a   circular   opening   -   a   feature   which   Mylne   used in   many   of   the   buildings   at   Inveraray   and   elsewhere.   In   one   is   the   Church Clock and in the other the Church Bell.   The porticoes now railed in, originally gave access to the galleries. Much    of    the    stone    for    the    building    came    from    Arran    but    there    is    a persistent   story   that   some   was   quarried   at   Creag   nan   Caorach   (the   Craigs is   a   headland      south   of   the   town).   If   true,   it   confirms   a   16th   century prophecy   that   Inveraray   would   never   be   a   town   worth   the   name,   till   the bells rang on Creag nan Caorach.   In   1957   the   Gaelic   End   was   converted   into   a   Church   Hall   and   its   gallery was   enclosed   to   form   the   Paul   Fraser   Memorial   Chapel;   Rev   Doctor   Paul Fraser   author      of   the   statistical   Accounts   of   1793,   was   Minister   here   when the Church was built. The dividing wall was pierced by a door.   Originally   a   tall   slender   spire   rose   from   the   centre   of   the   church.   Said   to be   unsafe,   it   was   demolished   in   1941.   Lacking   the   spire,   the   Church   is now squat and  unimpressive, though still the centre of the town. to read more soon:
Home  Our Churches  -  Glenaray and Inveraray  -  History of the Church
© Copyright 2014-18  -  All rights Reserved  -  WestLochfyneside Parish  Churches
Web site donated by SKWebpages
Church with Spire
Charity No. SC016665